Saturday, February 10, 2007

numbers and sliding

Hi guys,
no new births
clinic practice though
I am worried about my numbers
We are supposed to observe/participate in a minimum of 12 births and I only have 10 women due until the end of my placement. Now I have to try and extend it by a couple of weeks and I will still only get 12 and that is if I do not miss a single birth which is very possible: we have to take 36 hours off prior to our midterm, 72 hours off prior to our final, 9 days off total, and every Friday morning off for class, um... hello? Why is this my problem now, I shouldn't have to worry about this at all yet now I have to write a request for an extension and hello, extend??????? Which is fine but what if it weren't, what if I had children or vacations to go on, what if I had a life????? (Adrian, I didn't forget about you!!!!)

Anyways, sliding..... yes I have sliding numbers but this thursday, a beautiful clear day, I hit black ice on one of our lovely country roads. I majorly fish-tail, 180 and slam my beautiful new car into a snowbank on the opposite side. I was burried and the underbelly was packed with snow. A total of 2 cars out of maybe 50 pulled over to help me and check up on me. I was fine, I got a tow. I am fine, car is fine, really, no scratches as far as I can see, maybe Yaris's are equipped with angels. I was lucky no cars were in the opposite lane at the time because there so could have been. I wasn't even speeding so be careful in snow drift land!!!!! I immediately ordered snow tires and since have had 2 of the 4 installed by my brother, yea!!!!!!!!!

Silver lining? I am not too down, but I do have a little knot in my tummy regarding my numbers, I worry a lot about my own work and performance and even though this is out of my control, it feels like it is my responsibility; now I have to think of solutions, I have to be assertive to my preceptor, I have to write an official request for extension. Hopefully my next few births will put my mind back in the right place, I have due dates of Feb 20, 26, 28 and March 2 and then a little while to my next wave. Also, any minute now I will get a call from Adrian asking me to pick him up from Whitby or Oshawa Go station so yea!!!!!!!! I will get lots of hugs and kisses and feel a lot better :)

3 comments:

Jaci said...

It'll all work out for you! So funny that you have to request an extension to get all the births in - you can't control when women go into labour! Keep plugging!

Margie said...

Miss you a million!

Hope you have a good visit with your man!

Love to you!!!

AGEMAN said...

Ya she had a good time with her MAN!!! And her half dead cat didn't kill me. Sweet!