Saturday, February 17, 2007

Baby catching

I am too tired to explain further, but I finally did get paged. 2 births back to back, up for 30 hours, First birth, laboured at home, she wanted a home birth but the baby changed positions so that her back was to mom's back and labour failed to progress. We transfered to hospital where we had a consult and went to section. She was relieved after having laboured for 26 hours. Baby girl so cute!. What did I do? Took vitals, listened to fetal heart, provided encouragement, watched section, gave breastfeeding support, did newborn exam and gave baby her vitamin K injection and eye ointment.
As soon as we were finishing up there, my preceptor got called and another client's water had broke. We flew to her house, examined her, took vitals, listened to baby and her contractions were very quick and we soon went to hospital. She has a whole legion of family and support. This one was crazy because it was so fast. She needed nitrous oxide for pain relief o i had to grab the tanks, I grabbed ones that were almost empty, shit! Mom wanted me to turn them on, huh? how do i do that? ugh, such a spaz. Other things I did, held mom's leg in hip while doing my first 4-handed catch!!!!!!!! Got splashed with amniotic fluid for the first time, helped deliver placenta by gently pulling on cord. Did newborn exam and gave baby vitamin K and eye ointment. Drew some of mom's blood for cord blood banking and all in all, I'd say it was a good 30 hour long day of learning for me.
I need pizza

3 comments:

Margie said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaci said...

Hope you got your pizza! Does that mean you hit your delivery quota? Keep us updated Kaelyn love hearing about babies and how you are doing!

AGEMAN said...

Wow, I wonder which iz worse? My Job where I get splashed with beer and alcohol all day....or .....Your job where you get splashed with Amniotic Fluid.....Hmmmm.