Monday, December 04, 2006

Procrastination Methods Part 2

Just an update and some musings...
Adrian and I went to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and it was phenomenal. I still have a little tinnitus (ringing in my ears), but well worth it. It was about 3 hours Up to 30 band members; a string section with a mstr playing an electric violin; 2 keyboardist; 3 electric guitarists; many vocalists; a bassist; a wicked drummer with a huge kit; and not to mention, all the laser lights, pyrotechnics and rising stages. Their set included classic Christmas songs, classic rock and classic Beethoven. For more info on them go to www.trans-siberian.com

I have been studying and today I learned CPR. I think I needed breathing coaching just to get through the practical evaluation - I was so nervous. However, I ended up doing the procedures a la textbook. I have also been studying as though this information is going to come in handy... hmmmm... jokes of course.

At theology pub Jaci asked me some pregnancy related questions; they seemed like ones I should be able to answer but I couldn't with the confidence I feel I need for when I will be providing care so I went to research some answers.
Question 1: If one unknowingly becomes pregnant while on the Birth Control Pill and continues taking the pill, will there be any adverse effects?
Answer: No, because the hormones are in fairly small doses, they are hormones necessary for pregnancy, but regardless, the developing embryo once implanted in the uterus will pretty much override the effects of the estrogen and progesterone in the pill. The only potential for an adverse effect is the conversion of the progesterone into androgens which could have masculinizing effects on a fetal fetus; i.e: enlargement of the clitoris.
Question 2: Will a vitamin B-12 injection be contraindicated in pregnancy.
Answer; None of the drug manuals contraindicate these injections in pregnancy in cases of anemia and vitamin B-12 deficiency. However, it is in the pregnancy drug class C, meaning that it is unknown whether or not the drug will have a negative or effect on the fetus. (80% of all drugs are in this category because it is rare that randomized control studies can actually be performed due to the ethical issues surorunding drug testing in humans, pregnant ones no less - for toxic effects no less!!!) Jaci, I don't know why that pregnant woman was not given the shot. I don't know the dose, I don't know the context but another thing to consider; the fetus' liver and ability to process anything is not as well developed and thus has an increased risk of toxicity from anything the mother receives (pretty much anything in the mom's blood will pass through the placenta)

2 comments:

Jaci said...

Thanks for the answers Kaelyn - I was curious but hadn't even considered looking it up. You rock! Good seeing you again at Theology Pub!

the lovely kaelyn said...

Thanks for the questions; people asking questions really makes my learning feel very practical and solidifies principles I have learned through explaining them in my own words. :)