Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My experience as a visitor in my city

I am currently following a nurse practitioner who works in the shelter health network in Hamilton. I observe her at her work. I get exposure to some of the shelters in Hamilton. Some of them are nice, some are cramped. The family centre on Wentworth Street is very nice; it is set up with apartments that entire families can stay in for up to 6 weeks. There are good communal spaces and activities for families that honour multiculturalism and community. There is always a pot of coffee on. This makes me happy because I have seen many things that are sad; not that people are by any stretch pathetic or need pity, but lots of people have suffered many things and I accumulate these stories all day and I just come home and feel heavy. Because it is strange to come home to my TV and food after being with people who jump through hoops, stand in lines, remain on waiting lists, to get things, things they probably truly don't want, but that is what they can get. The world is not a really fair place, is it?

No comments: