Wednesday, September 06, 2006

So much change at once




What have I been up to, well, if you are reading this so you must care.

I had some lovely days off last week; 3 days next to a weekend so I went home and spent some quality time with the fam. We went to Sandbanks provincial park one day and it was my first and probably last beach day of the summer but it was a fantastic one. Here are some pics:

For some reason they appear sideways, grrrrrrrrr.

Then, I went to Yorkdale mall the following Wednesday to meet Becci and Kelda, 2 friends of mine who are involved with me in helping welcome a student from Sudan via Kenya to Canada! We then proceeded to the airport to pick him up and there was lots of excitment in the air. There were also other representatives from other schools also picking up students. Becci had spent the summer travelling in East-Africa and had met many of the people coming when she was in Kenya. She knew the student who was going to be studying at Waterloo University however the students picking him up were no where to be found. Kelda, Becci, Michael and I waited with him and Becci and I were a little panicked, slightly worried. Imagine being this guy, jet-lagged, arriving in a new country and the people responsible for taking care of him were not there, eeeeekkkkk!!!!!!! Becci and I went on an adventure to see if they were in terminal 3. We managed to find the monorail which was an adventure in and of itself. The next train was in 7 minutes. We decide not to wait... if they were at the wrong terminal, surely they would have figured it out by now... it had been 2 hours!!!! We descend the escalator... the train arrives. Becci runs up the escalator... I try.... I am not moving.... imagine me running up an escalator and not moving, it was funny. So we wait some more and decide to take him to Hamilton because eating is better than waiting. We made many calls to WUSC headquarters in Ottawa and finally get a call back while in traffic on the 401. Nice intro to Canada.... lanes of concrete and a sea of cars.....

It was fun though.... more pics:



As it turns out, they were at the wrong terminal.....

I was pooped after we got our new friend settled and suprisingly did not sleep well because me being the worrier that I am worried about everything he needed but of course, he wasn't worried, so goes to show that I need not worry.

And now, school is starting, I have been seeing my friends again and the days are getting shorter. Yes, lots and lots of change.

No comments: